Thursday, March 15, 2007

Some Gametime Thoughts...

1) Isn't it great that Coach K is officially getting the A-Rod treatment, in that no one is the least bit surprised by Duke's postseason failures anymore? I know the media and "bracketologists" (ugh...I hate that fucking word) will continue to baby him, and give him the benefit of the doubt, but those of us who watched the game know that he literally was incapable of adjusting to VCU's press, and had a slow white guy guarding Eric Maynor the ENTIRE game (as opposed to Demarcus Nelson, who is the polar opposite of slow white guy). Frankly, I'm surprised it was even close...Duke was slower, and less athletic, and they were sucking fumes towards the end. But boy did they have the edge in fouls...26 to 19. Yes thats right, freakin' 26 to 19. And they only lost by two!?!? I hope we're not wondering why everyone hates Duke by now...

2) As I'm watching the Indiana/Gonzaga game, the announcers are making it sound VCU won the game simply by chucking a bunch of 3's and getting lucky. While they did hit nine 3's as opposed to Duke's three, isn't it a little cheap to trivialize the effort? I mean, 3 pointers are a part of the game...if you want to win, you need to make your 3's. And last time I checked, Duke had plenty of opportunities to make up the difference in the the 10 extra free throws they received.

3) I hate that sinking feeling you get when CBS switches to a game where you picked an upset...and Wright State is down 13-0. But wait! they've come all the way back to tie it at 22!! Too bad none of you lived in Ohio, and had to suffer through "Wright State Uuuuuniverrrsityyyyy" commercials. I'm pretty sure their tagline was "Please apply here! I promise you'll get in." (Actually, now that I think about it, I DO remember their commercial mentioning something about "...and last year we had the NCAA leader in 3 point percentage!" I swear I'm not making that up.)

4) If I could pick anyone to record my voicemail greeting, it would definitely be Kevin Harlan. I've always wondered what the hell Kevin Harlan did in the offseason when he wasn't given the D-list NFL game of the week. Lets just say we Browns fans know Kevin Harlan quite well at this point. By the way, I think my 6th grade basketball team had more expensive and elaborate uniforms than Wright State.

1 comment:

Skurny said...

Us Detroit Lions fans know Mr. Harlan very well, brings back memories of 2nd Quarter blowouts, booing and at least 25 "Fire Millen" signs. Lions football: Catch the Fever!